New this Year: Nominate a Sustainability Changemaker
This year, the Summit of Sustainability Award aims to recognize individuals who have created value for their organization, and community, through their ongoing sustainability efforts within Summit County. Ideally, these efforts and actions are part of an organization’s sustainabilty plan, integrated into the organization’s mission, that aims to consider all relevent aspects of Sustainability’s “Triple-Bottom Line” – People, Planet, and Prosperity. Please consider the actions and efforts of your Nominee and provide information as to why you think this person is a Sustainability Changemaker.
In order for Summit of Sustainabilty Award to consider your Nominee, all information on the Sustainable Changemaker Nomination form must be provided (except where optional). Note that Nominee must be employed at organizations (e.g., business, non-profit, community group, public entity, etc.) located within Summit County or acting in a manner that impacts Summit County.
Nominate Sustainability Changemaker at: https://www.surveymonkey.com/r/SustainableChangemakerNomination. Deadline is Friday, July 31, 2016.
The Summit of Sustainability Award (SOSA)
The Summit of Sustainability Award isn’t just for big companies. The awards has 5 organizational categories:
- Small Business (25 employees or less)
- Medium Business (26 to 249 employees)
- Large Business (250 employees or more)
- Public Sector (Governmental/Schools)
The application is done through Survey Monkey. Apply here. Deadline is July 1, 2015.
Want to nominate a business or organization for #SOSA15? Send the Survey Monkey application link or email us their contact info at email@example.com.
Applying for SOSA is pretty simple and really “green” as it is right through this page on the website during the application season. Our four required categories are: Energy Management, Waste Management, Water Management and Purchasing
Program Management. There are additional optional categories
as well. You will also find a WebCargo link within the application if you would like to upload other information for submission which further explain your sustainability practices and goals. Want to print and look over 2015’s application to see what type of information we ask for? Here is the SOSA 2015 Application in a PDF. Need help in filling out your application, call Cindy at 330.375.2116 option 1, and we will have one of our experts contact you so you can ask questions.
When working through Survey Monkey, here are a few helpful tips:
- You can advance through questions on the application by just inserting “123” in an answer.
- You can save the application and return to work on it later.
- It is okay if you do not have information to answer every category; every organization is at a different stage in their sustainability journey. One aspect of your plan may be the BEST example and alone may be worthy of recognition!
- The optional sections are meant to strengthen your application.
- In all categories it is about expressing what your sustainability plan is and how you are progressing towards meeting individual goal.
- Reminder that metrics (i.e. measurements) can be as easy as citing your utility bills. Simple example: In December we used 100KWH of electricity. In January we installed energy efficient lighting, and in February we used 80 KWH of electricity – saving 20 KWH of electricity as a result of the installation. For purchasing, express what you wanted to achieve and the steps you are taking to get there. Simple example: our office set a goal to have 100% recycled paper in use for all print projects. Metric: as of today 65% of our print materials used recycled paper. For purchasing, express what you wanted to achieve and the steps you are taking to get there.
Remember that submitted application information may be shared with the public as best practices.
If you are not sure what is considered sustainable, check our How to Be Sustainable page for resources and suggestions. From there you may find out you are already sustainable business or organization.